Disabled Man with his wife having fun while using tablet at the


A Conservatorship may be needed for an individual over the age of 18 who needs
assistance with taking care of medical or personal matters (Conservatorship of the Person)
and/or financial matters (Conservatorship of the Estate). In these instances, the court
appoints a “conservator” to assist these individuals (“conservatee”).

Limited Conservatorships are filed when the potential conservatee is a Regional Center
Consumer and has a developmental disability. The conservator may ask for any of 7
specific powers that are needed to assist the proposed conservator:

    1. To fix the residence or dwelling
    2. To access confidential records
    3. To consent to marriage
    4. To contract
    5. To give or withhold medical consent
    6. To control social and sexual contacts and relationships
    7. To decide on education

General Conservatorships are for all other individuals over the age of 18.
The entire Conservatorship process can take anywhere from 2-4 months. However, the
process may be shorter or longer depending on individual circumstances and the courts

For more information about Conservatorships or to make an appointment to speak with an
attorney, please call our office at (858) 689-0613 or connect with us through our contact

* The information presented on this website is general in nature and does not constitute
legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice on your specific situation